The Virtual Hub is operated daily by the Forces Online CIO/Scotland team. Click the opening times to see when we are online. We have a corresponding Facebook Page
The VirtualHub is based on Zoom and can be accessed by smartphone, Pad, PC, Mac or Portal device. Just click the link show in the “Join Below” link on the menu or click HERE It’s just a case of clicking and your device will set up a secure zoom connection and do the rest.
Once connected you will be able to chat with our operators or any other veterans and family members that are in the hub. Our operators who are skilled at answering enquiries and finding support from our own experienced and certified welfare team, or they will be able to sigh-post you to one of the many organisations that supports the armed forces community.
The technology allows screen sharing and private areas away from the main reception/hub area to conduct meetings in a secure and confidential environment.
When visiting the VirtualHub you are initially added to the waiting area, and soon after this on of the team will admit you into the main area. Here you will be able to choose to have your camera off or on and have control over your audio device.
The Drop-In Lounge Area is where everyone can chat freely.
The Private Meeting Space are small rooms for Break-Away meeting which has proved invaluable for our Welfare Team and other visiting Welfare Officers to conduct private meetings.
The VirtualHub can also be used by smaller organisations and individuals to conduct meetings and get togethers (There is no charge for non-profits, charities and clubs). We ourselves use the VirtualHub to conduct training, meetings outside of the normal opening times, and can be easily opened outside of our normal meetings for hardship and crisis meetings.
If you need any further information about the VirtualHub of want to enquire about using it, then please correspond with us through our “Contact Us” link on the menu above.
Where Possible Operators should.
- Ensure that cameras are facing a suitable backdrop, and where this is not so, try and use a zoom backdrop where possible. It is mandatory as a Forces Online official to be on camera whilst you are in the hub in any meeting or the day-to-day business in meetings.
- Should not eat, drink, or smoke on camera. (Tea, Coffee, Water, etc is acceptable).
- If you are required to answer or make any phone calls, ensure you mute your microphone.
- Do not end the meeting if you are the host.
- For Formal meetings please make sure you are presentable.
- Do not swear or use inappropriate language or innuendoes during open hub times.
- You must NOT discuss or share any personal issues about others without their consent.
- When sharing screens please be mindful, relating to personal or sensitive information or who might be in the hub during sharing sessions. Where possible use private rooms.
- If you are having any issues getting on the hub, and you are the operator please inform someone to help ASAP.
- On the hub identification marker just use your name (not titles), we all need to be working in the same consistent manner. Titles should also not appear in any backdrop images apart from the words Hub Administrator. Forces Online officials can also use “firstname – department”.
- If you are the hub duty administrator, you should ensure that waiting times are kept to a minimum.
- Hub Administrators should where possible appoint Co Hosts.
- Hub Administrators who open the hub should open 5 rooms ready for use throughout the session.
- If any users of the hub start to have issues relating to anxiety, stress of breakdowns, then please move the discussion/interaction to a private room ASAP. If this is not possible then uninvolved users should be moved into one of the private rooms ASAP allowing the Welfare staff to deal with the incident. All incidents relating to this section are a notifiable event and a hub incident form should be raised and posted to our senior hub operator.
When you join the hub you will see both our own team members and users. Our User guidance is based on the usual Social Media rules.
- You should be suitably dressed when on Camera.
- You should refrain from any inappropriate language, including swearing and comments to others that may cause offence.
- In the Participants Link you will be able to identify who the duty hub Host (Admin) is.
- You can send any members private messages and text sent should also be appropriate.
- Your Camera Background should not contain anything which is illegal or may cause offense to others.
- When participating in the open Veteran’s hub you should not talk over others, but simply raise your hand if you need to talk.
- If you need to talk to someone in a 1 to 1 setting you just need to ask, and the host will sort this for you.
- Conversations that take place in the hub are the property of Forces Online CIO and people should not record and distribute any conversations without the express permission of the Charity. You can, however, request your private meetings to be recorded if you need a copy of it.
- You will have the opportunity to occasionally share screens with the hub, who cannot be held responsible for any sensitive information that my later cause you any personal issues or loss.
Harassment will not be tolerated and is covered in the Forces Online Bullying Policy HERE
If you want to make any negative or positive comments about the way the VirtualHub is run, please visit our “Contact Us” link from the menu above to call or email the team responsible for managing it.